If we talk about the history of Paseo Padre Manjón probably nobody will knows what we are referring to. Citizens of Granada know the place, one of the most famous of the city, as Paseo de los Tristes. Where does this name come from?
It is the name of the antique arabic neighborhood near Darro river. Nowadays it is part of Albaycín, which represents a significant portion of the muslim culture in Granada. It was in this neighborhood that Christian aristocracy decided to settle.
One of this families is the Castril, who owned some lands near Ajsaris. During that period nobody could know that these lands would become one of the most emblematic places of Granada.
At the beginning of XIX century an outbreak of yellow fever stroke the city and citizens started to bury their loved ones where they could. Considering this situation of chaos, in 1805 authorities decided to create a proper place: Cemeterio de las Barreras, situated around Alhambra in a higher position but one the same hill. From there you could have a better view of both Granada and Alhambra.
Granadians found this place perfect for their dead loved ones, and with the passing of time it became the principal cemetery of Granada – which nowadays is called Cementerio de San José.
Building the path
Tlaking about the Castril lands, they became property of the city of Granada in order to build the famous Paseo de la Puerta de Guadix, nowadays Paseo del Padre Manjón, and also known as Paseo de los Tristes.